Many aging individuals find themselves under assault from rising blood sugar levels. Despite a healthy diet and exercise, blood sugar levels can rise due to a number of factors including excess gluconeogenesis where by the liver produces glucose from protein. Another issue is the rapid conversion of any starch, including whole grains, into glucose. The result is that even health-conscious, active people can experience higher-than-desired blood sugar levels as they age.1,2
An all-natural, multi-pronged approach has been designed to support the natural balance of key glucose pathway. Tri Sugar Shield™ provides three plant-derived nutrients that—through their rich array of complementary mechanisms3-18—afford an unrivaled level of optimal, broad-spectrum support for healthy glucose metabolism in aging individuals within normal range.
Life Extension® Tri Sugar Shield™ contains the following three nutrients:
Sorghum Bran Extract
Sorghum is a grass plant found in Southern Asia that helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, among those in the normal range, by modulating four different mechanisms:
- Balances the rate of sugar manufacture in the liver (gluconeogenesis).5
- Promotes insulin sensitivity.6
- Regulates PPAR-gamma, a metabolic thermostat controlling glucose metabolism.6,7
- Regulates the enzyme alpha-amylase, which in turn controls the release of sugar found in starch.3,4
Mulberry leaf extract
Mulberry leaf has been used in Chinese traditional medicine for centuries. Like sorghum, mulberry leaf extract targets three different mechanisms:
- Targets the alpha-glucosidase enzyme to regulate conversion of starch into glucose.8-10
- Supports glucose transporter GLUT4 that moves glucose out of the bloodstream and into muscle and liver cells.11,12
- Promotes insulin sensitivity.13
Phloridzin is a natural polyphenol found in various fruit trees.14 Phloridzin helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, among those in the normal range by:
- Targeting carrier protein SGLT1, in turn helping to block the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream.15,16
- Targeting carrier protein SGLT2, in turn supporting glucose elimination via urine.17,18
By targeting all of these diverse glucose pathways, Life Extension® Tri Sugar Shield™ delivers the widest possible support to help naturally stabilize already healthy glucose levels.
Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate)
Sorghum bran (Sorghum bicolor) extract [providing 270 mg proanthocyanidins]
White mulberry extract (leaf) [providing 7.5 mg 1-deoxynojirimycin]
Phloridzin [from apple extract (root bark)]
vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, maltodextrin, silica, vegetable stearate.
Take one capsule twice daily immediately before the heaviest carbohydrate or sugar containing meals/ drinks, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
If you are taking blood glucose lowering medication, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product.
1. Int J Biomed Sci. 2013 Mar;9(1):1-8.
2. Acta Neurol Scand Suppl. 1987;113:1-40.
3. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16 Suppl 1:305-8.
4. J Neurosci Res. 2003 Feb 15;71(4):534-43.
5. Arch Pharm Res. 1999 Apr;22(2):219-24.
6. Adv Nutr. 2013 May;4(3):378S-83S.
7. J Neural Transm. 2012 May;119(5):575-9.
8. Clin Neurosci. 1998;5(1):24-7.
9. Neurosciences (Riyadh). 2011 Oct;16(4):320-3.
10. J Nutr. 2003 Sep;133(9):2879-82.
11. Clin Sci (Lond). 2004 Mar;106(3):279-85.
12. Magnes Res. 2008 Jun;21(2):101-8.
13. J Tradit Chin Med. 1997 Dec;17(4):299-303.
14. Biol Pharm Bull. 2006 Feb;29(2):261-5.
15. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2009 Jan;43(1): 45-52.