1. Hipsley EH. Dietary "fibre" and pregnancy toxaemia. Br Med J. 1953 Aug 22;16(4833):420-2.
2. Cleave TL, Campbell GD, Painter NS. Diabetes, Coronary Thrombosis and the Saccharine Disease. 2nd ed. Bristol: Wright; 1969.
3. Burkitt DP. Related diseaseórelated cause? Lancet. 1969 Dec 6;2(7632):1229-31.
4. Burkitt DP, Trowell HC, eds. Refined Carbohydrate Foods and Disease. Some Implications of Dietary Fibre. New York: Academic Press; 1975.
5. Pereira MA, O'Reilly E, Augustsson K et, al. Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease: a pooled analysis of cohort studies. Arch Intern.Med. 2004 Feb 23;164(4):370-6.
6. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/index.htm. Accessed March 4, 2005.
7. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2000. JAMA. 2002 Oct 9;288(14):1723-7.
8. de Leeuw JA, Jongbloed AW, Verstegen MW. Dietary fiber stabilizes blood glucose and insulin levels and reduces physical activity in sows (Sus scrofa). J Nutr. 2004 Jun;134(6):1481-6.
9. Yao M, Roberts SB. Dietary energy density and weight regulation. Nutr Rev. 2001 Aug;59(8 Pt 1):247-58.
10. Pasman WJ, Saris WH, Wauters MA, et al. Effect of one week of fibre supplementation on hunger and satiety ratings and energy intake. Appetite. 1997 Aug;29(1):77-87.
11. Howarth NC, Saltzman E, Roberts SB. Dietary fiber and weight regulation. Nutr Rev. 2001 May;59(5):129-39.
12. Rolls BJ. The role of energy density in the overconsumption of fat. J Nutr. 2000 Feb;130(2S Suppl):268S-71S.
13. Pereira MA and Ludwig DS. Dietary fiber and body-weight regulation. Observations and mechanisms. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2001 Aug;48(4):969-80.
14. Gonzalez Canga A, Fernandez Martinez N, Sahagun AM, et al. Glucomannan: properties and therapeutic applications. Nutr Hosp. 2004 Jan-Feb;19(1):45-50.
15. Birketvedt GS, Shimshi M, Thom E, Florholmen J. Experiences with three different fiber supplements in weight reduction. Med Sci Monit. 2004 Dec 22;11(1):I5-8.
16. Walsh DE, Yaghoubian V, Behforooz A. Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study. Int J Obes.1984;8(4):289-93.
17. Vuksan V, Sievenpiper JL, Owen R, et al. Beneficial effects of viscous dietary fiber from Konjac-mannan in subjects with the insulin resistance syndrome: results of a controlled metabolic trial. Diabetes Care. 2000 Jan;23(1):9-14.
18. Vuksan V, Jenkins DJ, Spadafora P, et al. Konjac-mannan (glucomannan) improves glycemia and other associated risk factors for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. A randomized controlled metabolic trial. Diabetes Care. 1999 Jun;22(6):913-9.
19. Kim E, Vuksan V, et al. The relationship between viscosity of dietary fibers and their hypoglycemic effects. Kor J Nutr. 1996;29:615-21.
20. Cifuentes M, Riedt CS, Brolin RE, Field MP, Sherrell RM, Shapses SA. Weight loss and calcium intake influence calcium absorption in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;80(1):123-30.
21. Bowen J, Noakes M, Clifton PM. A high dairy protein, high-calcium diet minimizes bone turnover in overweight adults during weight loss. J Nutr. 2004 Mar;134(3):568-73.
22. Zemel MB, Thompson W, Milstead A, Morris K, Campbell P. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90.
23. Jacobsen R, Lorenzen JK, Toubro S, Krog-Mikkelsen I, Astrup A. Effect of short-term high dietary calcium intake on 24-h energy expenditure, fat oxidation, and fecal fat excretion. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2005 Mar;29(3):292-301.
24. Zemel MB. Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partitioning and weight management. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 May;79(5):907S-12S.
25. Moyad MA. The potential benefits of dietary and/or supplemental calcium and vitamin D. Urol Oncol. 2003 Sept-Oct;21(5):384-91.
26. Tucker KL. Dietary intake and coronary heart disease: a variety of nutrients and phytochemicals are important. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2004 Aug;6(4):291-302.
27. Trowell, HC, Burkitt DP. Concluding considerations. In: Burkitt DP, Trowell HC, eds. Refined Carbohydrate Foods and Disease. New York: Academic Press; 1975:333-45.
28. Burkitt D. Don't forget the fibre in your diet, to help avoid many of our commonest diseases. London: Martin Dunitz Limited; 1983:8.
29. Khaw KT, Barrett-Connor E. Dietary fiber and reduced ischemic heart disease mortality rates in men and women: a 12-year prospective study. Am J Epidemiol. 1987 Dec;126(6):1093-1102.
30. Erkkila AT, Sarkkinen ES, Lehto S, Pyorala K, Uusitupa MI. Dietary associates of serum total, LDL, and HDL cholesterol and triglycerides in patients with coronary heart disease. Prev Med. 1999 Jun;28(6):558-65.
31. US Food and Drug Administration. Health claims: soluble fiber from certain foods and risk of heart diseases. Code of Federal Regulations. 2001;21:101.81.
32. Lupton JR, Turner ND. Dietary fiber and coronary disease: does the evidence support an association? Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2003 Nov;5(6):500-5.
33. Ballesteros MN, Cabrera RM, Saucedo Mdel S, et al. High intake of saturated fat and early occurrence of specific biomarkers may explain the prevalence of chronic disease in northern Mexico. J Nutr. 2005 Jan;135(1):70-3.
34. Chan WB, Tong PC, Chow CC, et al. Triglyceride predicts cardiovascular mortality and its relationship with glycaemia and obesity in Chinese type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Jul 27.
35. Ajani UA, Ford ES, Mokdad AH. Dietary fiber and C-reactive protein: findings from national health and nutrition examination survey data. J Nutr. 2004 May;134(5):1181-5.
36. Donaldson MS. Nutrition and cancer: A review of the evidence for an anti-cancer diet. Nutr J. 2004 Oct 20;3(1):19.
37. Slattery ML, Curtin KP, Edwards SL, Schaffer DM. Plant foods, fiber, and rectal cancer. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Feb;79(2):274-81.
38. Available at: http://www.physiciansweekly.com/article.asp?issueid=68&articleid=604. Accessed March 2, 2005.
39. Bingham SA, Day NE, Luben R, et al. Dietary fibre in food and protection against colorectal cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC): an observational study. Lancet. 2003 May 3;361(9368):1496-501.
40. Peters U, Sinha R, Chatterjee N et al. Dietary fibre and colorectal adenoma in a colorectal cancer early detection programme. Lancet. 2003 May 3;361(9368):1491-5.
41. Rendel M. Advances in diabetes for the millennium: nutritional therapy of type 2 diabetes. Med Gen Med. 2004 Sep 1;6(2):10.
42. Anderson JW, Akanji AO. Treatment of diabetes with high fiber diets. In: Spiller GA, ed. Dietary Fiber in Human Nutrition. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 1993:443-70.
43. Nizami F, Farooqui MS, Munir SM, Rizvi TJ. Effect of fiber bread on the management of diabetes mellitus. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2004 Nov;14(11):673-6.
44. Chandalia M, Garg A, Lutjohann D, et al. Beneficial effects of high dietary fiber intake in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 2000 May 11;342(19):1392-8.
45. Uusitupa M, Sodervik H, Silvasti M, Karttunen P. Effects of a gel forming dietary fiber, guar gum, on the absorption of glibenclamide and metabolic control and serum lipids in patients with non-insulin-dependent (type 2) diabetes. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol. 1990 Apr;28(4):153-7.
46. Smith U, Holm G. Effect of a modified guar gum preparation on glucose and lipid levels in diabetics and healthy volunteers. Atherosclerosis. 1982 Oct;45(1):1-10.
47. Braaten JT, Wood PJ, Scott FW, et al. Oat beta-glucan reduces blood cholesterol concentration in hypercholesterolemic subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1994 Jul;48(7):465-74.
48. Available at: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/tpoats.html. Accessed March 2, 2005.
49. Thacker PA. Influence of propionic acid on cholesterol metabolism of pigs fed hyper-cholesterolemic diets. Can J Anim Sci. 1981;61:969-75.
50. Trepel F. Dietary fibre: more than a matter of dietetics. II. Preventative and therapeutic uses. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2004 Aug 31;116(15-16):511-22.
51. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4574. Accessed March 4, 2005.
52. Available at: http://5aday.nci.nih.gov/tools/faqs.html. Accessed March 4, 2005.