IMPLEMENTING A NATURAL WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3
Taken together, everything presented so far provides a comprehensive approach to inducing fat-loss and achieving sustained weight control. Many of the weight-loss supplements outlined in Step 1 of the following summary can be safely initiated without the need for hormone blood tests.
However, to optimize long-term weight management, we encourage the hormone blood profile as recommended in Step 2 of the following summary. Too often, only partial weight loss results are achieved because imbalance of hormones such as testosterone, estrogen, and thyroid (T3) prevent the body from releasing more stored body fat.
Following is a summary of what should be done to implement a scientific-based weight loss program:Step 1:
Take the following dietary supplements to facilitate immediate weight loss:Supplement and Dose
- PGX™ highly viscous fiber blend 1,000-3,000 mg daily before each meal (with 8-16 ounces of water)
- CLA (76%) 1000 mg or CLA with Guarana extract - 3-4 capsules early in the day
- CitriChrome (chromium polynicotinate) 600-1,000 mcg daily, or 2-3 200-mcg capsules with each meal
- Super GLA/DHA (essential fatty acids) or Super EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans
4 capsules per day
- Life Extension Mix (provides high doses of magnesium, zinc, and other important nutrients) - 3 tablets, three times per day
- Fiber (psyllium seed, guar, and pectin) - Start with 4 grams taken when high-fat meals are consumed. Do not take with CLA or Super GLA/DHA because fiber will bind to these important fatty acids before they can be absorbed into the bloodstream.
Obtain the following blood tests from your physician ( or order them directly by calling (800) 208-3444):
- Complete blood chemistry (includes serum glucose)
- Fasting insulin
- Free testosterone
- Thyroid panel (T3, T4, TSH)
- PSA (for men)
- Fasting insulin
(Be certain to not eat anything for 12 hours prior to having blood drawn.)Step 3:
Once the test results are received, initiate hormone modulation therapy as follows:
If there is any indication of thyroid deficiency, take an appropriate thyroid replacement medication (usually Cytomel). The starting dose of Cytomel is normally 12.5 mcg twice per day.
If DHEA levels are low (they almost always are in people over age 35), then take the appropriate amount of DHEA (15-50 mg/day) to restore them to a youthful range. (Refer to DHEA Replacement Therapy protocol
For men, if free testosterone is in the low normal range or below normal, ask your physician to prescribe a transdermal cream to provide 5 mg per day of natural testosterone. If estradiol levels are high (over 30), use 0.5 mg of the drug Arimidex twice a week to block the aromatase enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen. Before using testosterone, men should verify that they do not have prostate cancer by having a blood test for PSA and undergoing a digital rectal exam.
Once armed with a youthful hormone profile, along with supplements that help facilitate weight loss, you are in a position to determine how much body fat you want to lose.
Once on this program, you will find it easy to make healthy food choices such as including more fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet, avoiding high sugar snacks, and reducing total calorie intake.
Based on our research, this three-step program is the only practical approach for the normal aging human to be rid of excess body fat over a continuous period. If you are seriously concerned about protecting yourself against multiple degenerative diseases and improving your appearance, we urge you to make the effort to have your blood tested, modulate your hormone profile accordingly, and take the supplements that can help you regain your youthful appearance. If you need a referral to a physician knowledgeable about hormone modulation, please call (800) 226-2370.Precautions for Natural Weight Loss Protocol
Even when taking natural weight loss supplements, there are still some precautions that should be followed to guard against adverse side effects. For instance, if an individual has uncontrolled hypertension, CLA with guarana should not be taken. Instead, use the CLA product without guarana. Even though guarana tends to release slowly in the body, individuals who are hypersensitive to caffeine may want to use the CLA alone product.
Reduced thyroid hormone output is a common response when less food is consumed. This response is nature's way of conserving body mass in response to what it perceives as a famine. If you significantly reduce food consumption, check thyroid hormone status and ask your physician for Cytomel or Armour drug therapy if body temperature or blood tests indicate thyroid deficiency. Refer to the Thyroid Deficiency protocol for details.
Chromium can induce the production of free radicals. Therefore, when taking a chromium supplement, be certain to simultaneously consume an antioxidant supplement.
Obesity and weight loss remain controversial subjects. Scientists have identified underlying causes for age-associated weight gain. Yet the majority of overweight people and their physicians ignore these findings. The result is that most diet and exercise regimens fail.
The fact that conventional weight-loss methods do not work is confirmed by more Americans being obese and overweight than ever before. Yet never have so many people tried to reduce body fat.SUMMARY
Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes was at one time universally fatal. In 1922, a young boy received the first form of supplemental insulin and experienced a reduction of blood sugar. Insulin was soon viewed as a wonder drug because it saved the lives of those who were previously doomed to death shortly after diagnosis with insulin-dependent diabetes.
In today’s gluttonous world, overproduction of insulin has become a major health problem. Even in people who eat a healthy diet, the aging process often causes insulin resistance that results in higher-than-desired insulin levels. An overwhelming number of scientific studies show that hyperinsulinemia is an underlying culprit for many of today’s killer diseases and infirmities.
While pharmaceutical companies are investigating insulin-suppressing drugs, the good news is that fiber supplements have been shown to enhance blood sugar control, decrease after-meal insulin levels, and reduce the number of calories absorbed by the body.
The best fiber sources for reducing after-meal blood sugar-insulin levels, lowering cholesterol levels, and promoting weight loss are those that are rich in water-soluble fibers such as glucomannan, psyllium, guar gum, pectin, and especially, PGX™ highly viscous fiber blend.
When taken with water before meals, these fiber sources bind to the water in the stomach and small intestine to form a gelatinous, viscous mass that not only slows down the absorption of glucose, but also induces a sense of satiety (fullness) and reduces the absorption of calories.
With the introduction of a new highly viscous fiber blend trademarked under the name PGX™, it may now be possible to achieve the multiple documented benefits of fiber by swallowing only a few capsules before each meal. The longevity potential associated with reducing after-meal glucose and insulin blood levels, lowering total cholesterol and LDL, and losing some weight is enormous
While the long-term objective of any diet modification program is to maintain healthy body mass index (BMI below 25) with a reduced calorie intake, it is more important initially for obese individuals to shift the time of day when they consume the most calories. The instructions to overweight and obese individuals given earlier in the protocol will be repeated in order to achieve rapid and sustained fat loss:
- Immediately after wakening: Eat a large breakfast. If you want a banana split, eat it for breakfast! Eat as much as you want of whatever you want. The reason we advocate a liberal breakfast is that you should follow this program for the rest of your life. If you are continuously deprived of the foods you like, at some point you may rebel and start eating at the wrong time of the day. Ideally, breakfast will consist of fresh fruit and whole grains, but if you need to consume high calorie foods, do it in the morning and not late in the day.
- Late morning: Eat a snack equivalent in calories to a hamburger and potato fries. Healthier foods are recommended, but for the purposes of complying with this program, eat what you want at this time of the day instead of waiting until the evening when these calories readily convert to body fat.
- Mid-afternoon: Have another snack equivalent to the calories obtained from a tuna salad sandwich on whole wheat bread and some fruit.
- Dinner: No later than 6:30 p.m. have a modest dinner: fish or lean chicken-meat, potato, and several vegetable servings.
- After dinner: Nothing goes in your mouth but pills and the water to swallow them!
- 5-10 minutes before each meal above, consume 1000-3000 mg of PGX™ highly viscous fiber blend with 8-16 ounces of water.
It may take a week for some obese individuals to wake up hungry (as they are supposed to do) and not have the desire to eat after 6:30 p.m. After 45 days of following this program that alters the time of day when calories are consumed, an improvement in several metabolic parameters should become evident, including a reduction in fasting insulin levels. Enough fat loss should have occurred during this initial 45-day period to motivate the individual to reduce total calorie intake and begin to exercise. Using PGX™ highly viscous fiber blend with 8-16 ounces of water makes restricting calorie intake much easier by cutting carbohydrate craving.
There are three important reasons to cut calorie intake throughout life:
- The risk of degenerative disease declines dramatically in those who remain thin.
- Reducing calorie intake slows and possibly reverses aging.
- One of the most important aspects of one's appearance and self-esteem is to avoid the accumulation of unsightly body fat.
The appendices following this protocol provide information about conventional weight loss drugs, gastric surgery, the glycemic index, assessing insulin status, and other methods that have been promoted to be of help in shedding excess body fat.
For most people, the best weight-loss results will occur if they follow the three simple steps outlined in the preceding section, which were:
- Supplement with PGX™ highly viscous fiber blend with 8-16 ounces of water, CLA, chromium, magnesium, fish oil.
- Check hormone blood levels.
- Take corrective action if there are any hormone imbalances such as asking your physician for a prescription for Cytomel if T3 levels are low; testosterone cream if testosterone levels are low; an aromatase inhibitor (such as Arimidex®) if estrogen levels are high (primarily for men), etc.
Combining the three steps listed above with a shift in calorie consumption to early in the day can produce profound body fat loss and sustained weight control.Continued
. . .