1. Davis-Searles PR, Nakanishi Y, Kim NC, et al. Milk thistle and prostate cancer: differential effects of pure flavonolignans from Silybum marianum on antiproliferative end points in human prostate carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2005 May 15;65(10):4448-57.
2. Gallardo-Williams MT, Maronpot RR, Wine RN, Brunssen SH, Chapin RE. Inhibition of the enzymatic activity of prostate-specific antigen by boric acid and 3-nitrophenyl boronic acid. Prostate. 2003 Jan 1;54(1):44-9.
3. Cohen P, Graves HC, Peehl DM, et al. Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) is an insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 protease found in seminal plasma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992 Oct;75(4):1046-53.
4. Cohen P, Peehl DM, Graves HC, Rosenfeld RG. Biological effects of prostate specific antigen as an insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 protease. J Endocrinol. 1994 Sep;142(3):407-15.
5. Wang P, Cong R, Wang J, Zhang L. Determination of the active flavonoids in silymarine. Se Pu. 1998 Nov;16(6):510-2.
6. Zi X, Agarwal R. Silibinin decreases prostate-specific antigen with cell growth inhibition via G1 arrest, leading to differentiation of prostate carcinoma cells: implications for prostate cancer intervention. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1999 Jun 22;96(13):7490-5.
7. Lahiri-Chatterjee M, Katiyar SK, Mohan RR, Agarwal R. A flavonoid antioxidant, silymarin, affords exceptionally high protection against tumor promotion in the SENCAR mouse skin tumorigenesis model. Cancer Res. 1999 Feb 1;59(3):622-32.
8. Katiyar SK, Korman NJ, Mukhtar H, Agarwal R. Protective effects of silymarin against photocarcinogenesis in a mouse skin model. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997 Apr 16;89(8):556-66.
9. Singh RP, Agarwal R. Prostate cancer prevention by silibinin. Curr Cancer Drug Targets. 2004 Feb;4(1):1-11.
10. Available at: http://www.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/milkthistle/HealthProfessional/page2. Accessed August 24, 2005.
11. Lee DY, Liu Y. Molecular structure and stereochemistry of silybin A, silybin B, isosilybin A, and isosilybin B, Isolated from Silybum marianum (milk thistle). J Nat Prod. 2003 Sep;66(9):1171-4.
12. Zi X, Feyes DK, Agarwal R. Anticarcinogenic effect of a flavonoid antioxidant, silymarin, in human breast cancer cells MDA-MB 468: induction of G1 arrest through an increase in Cip1/p21 concomitant with a decrease in kinase activity of cyclin-dependent kinases and associated cyclins. Clin Cancer Res. 1998 Apr;4(4):1055-64.
13. Tyagi AK, Agarwal C, Chan DC, Agarwal R. Synergistic anti-cancer effects of silibinin with conventional cytotoxic agents doxorubicin, cisplatin and carboplatin against human breast carcinoma MCF-7 and MDA-MB468 cells. Oncol Rep. 2004 Feb;11(2):493-9.
14. Singh RP, Agarwal R. A cancer chemopreventive agent silibinin, targets mitogenic and survival signaling in prostate cancer. Mutat Res. 2004 Nov 2;555(1-2):21-32.
15. Singh RP, Sharma G, Dhanalakshmi S, Agarwal C, Agarwal R. Suppression of advanced human prostate tumor growth in athymic mice by silibinin feeding is associated with reduced cell proliferation, increased apopotosis, and inhibition of angiogenesis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Sept;12(9):933-9.
16. Anon. Silybum marianum (milk thistle). Altern Med Rev. 1999 Aug;4(4):272-4.
17. Laekeman G, De Coster S, De Meyer K. St. Mary抯 Thistle: an overview. J Pharm Belg. 2003;58(1):28-31.
18. Wingo PA, Landis S, Ries LA. An adjustment to the 1997 estimate for new prostate cancer cases. CA Cancer J Clin. 1997 Jul;47(4):239-42.
19. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/ uscs/GraphV.asp?group=3f&Year=2001&Gender=MAL&Var1=United+States&TableType=INCI. Accessed August 24, 2005.
20. Available at: http://prg.nci.nih.gov/snapshots/Prostate-Snapshot.pdf. Accessed August 24, 2005.
21. Luper S. A review of plants used in the treatment of liver disease: part 1. Altern Med Rev. 1998 Dec;3(6):410-21.
22. Mallikarjuna G, Dhanalakshmi S, Singh RP, Agarwal C, Agarwal R. Silibinin protects against photocarcinogenesis via modulation of cell cycle regulators, mitogen-activated protein kinases, and Akt signaling. Cancer Res. 2004 Sep 1;64(17):6349-56.