~Cataracts, Part 4 - Summary & Integrated Protocol
This protocol provides information about cataracts; its nature, etiology, physiology, pathophysiology, and current treatments. Nutritional approaches to protecting the eye and preventing or slowing cataract progression of cataracts is provided. This information on cataracts and nutritional supplements should enable the reader to understand the beneficial effects of nutrition on cataract prevention.
- Scientific Summary
- Lifestyle Changes
The most widely accepted conventional surgical treatment is removal of the lens and implantation of an artificial lens (IOL). Surgical treatment is recommended when a cataract progresses to the point that it impairs visual function. Before this point is reached, conventional medicine often takes a "watchful waiting" approach, considering cataracts to be an age-related, unfortunate, but inevitable, fact of life. In contrast are a growing contingent of physicians, researchers, and nutritional scientists who have a more proactive view of cataract prevention and treatment. This holistic approach to maintain healthy lens function and eye health includes awareness of risk factors (e.g., smoking, alcohol, and sunlight), compliance with a sensible diet (e.g., low-fat, high-fiber), exercising, and nutritional therapy specifically for the eye.
Wear protective eyewear and avoid the following risk factors:
LIFE EXTENSION'S INTEGRATED PROTOCOL
- Avoid smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, exposure to sunlight (particularly UV radiation), and excessive exposure to X-ray and gamma irradiation.
- Life Extension's Solarshield sunglasses to protect from:
- blue and UV radiation
- preservation of essential macular pigments
Note: Many of the nutrients suggested may be contained in the Life Extension Mix
- Glutathione: 500 mg daily
- Vitamin C: 500 mg daily
- Vitamin B2: 50150 mg daily
- Selenium: 200400 mcg daily
- Vitamin E: 400 IU daily
- Gamma E Tocopherol w/Sesame Lignans: 1 softgel daily
- R-dihydro-lipoic acid: 150300 mg daily
- N-acetyl-cysteine: 600 mg daily
- Melatonin: 300 mcg3 mg at bedtime
- Vitamin B6: 50-250 mg daily
- Acetyl-L-carnitine arginate: three-four capsules daily
- Aminoguanidine: 150300 mg daily
- Carnosine: 5001000 mg daily
- Life Extension Mix: 3 tablets, 3 times daily, provide N-acetyl-cysteine, selenium, inositol, vitamins B2, B6, C, and E, bioflavonoids, and many other antioxidants and anti-glycating nutrients.
- Brite Eyes II: One-two drops in each eye daily
- Lutein Plus: One tablespoon daily taken with a fatty meal.
- Super Zeaxanthin with Lutein: One-two capsules daily.
- Coenzyme Q10: 100200 mg daily
- Potassium: 400 mg daily, but consult your physician
- Magnesium: 800 mg daily
- Gingko biloba: 120 mg daily
- Bilberry: 100 mg daily
- Kyolic Reserve Garlic: One-three capsules daily
For More Information, contact the National Eye Health Education Program of the National Institutes of Health, (301) 496-5248, or the American Society of Cataract Surgery, (703) 591-2220.
To see a list of all supplements, please check our Index or use our Search feature.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com, 1-510-527-3005 or 1-888-771-3905.
References . . .
Free Shipping in the Continental U.S. on Orders over $50
The statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. The foregoing statements are based upon sound and reliable studies, and are meant for informational purposes. Consult with your medical practitioner to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms. Please always check your purchase for possible allergins and correct dosage on the bottle before use.
While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Life Ex Online assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.