~Alzheimer's Disease, Part 6 - Summary
The incidence of Alzheimer's disease is increasing at an alarming rate along with the aging of our population. The vast majority of Alzheimer's disease is acquired or classified as idiopathic (of unknown cause) by conventional medicine. There is much discussion about the cause of Alzheimer's disease and many consider that Alzheimer's disease may not be caused by a single agent. The causes discussed here encompassed many diverse medical theories, including the biochemistry of acetylcholine and neurotransmitters, inflammation, oxidative stress and free radicals, and homocysteine. Recent advances in lab testing may help identify the key areas on which to focus the therapies.
One interesting study showed that persons who had a love of reading and read frequently in childhood had a very decreased incidence of Alzheimer's disease. Regularly engaging in mental activity is necessary for preservation of brain function.
Most of the medical treatments listed here are used only after Alzheimer's disease develops. Some, such as folic acid, vitamin B12, and antioxidants, are important in preventing dementia also.Treatment Protocols
There are a vast number of choices in both drugs and nutritional supplements available for patients with Alzheimer's disease. A well-informed holistic or naturopathic medical doctor can be of great help in ordering the appropriate lab tests and identifying the key supplements that will provide the greatest benefit. The following are several of the supplements and drugs that have been covered in this protocol along with standard daily dosages:Acetylcholine Support
- Take a daily supplement of a choline-based multinutrient formula called Cognitex
- An additional 10 grams a day of soy lecithin may be considered
Based upon the results of appropriate lab testing (see the lab section at the beginning of this protocol), the following may be used in addition:
- Carnosine, 1000 mg a day (minimum) should be considered
Innovative Drug Strategies Can Include the Following
- Hormone replacement therapy, preferably with natural forms of progesterone, testosterone, and estrogen.
- DHEA supplementation. The usual dose is 15-50 mg in females and 50-75 mg in males.
- Hydergine, 10-20 mg daily
- Piracetam, 2400-4800 mg daily
- Deprenyl, 5 mg, twice weekly
The Life Extension Foundation has designed several products specifically for neurological support. These include:
- Ginkgo acts to thin the blood by reducing the ability of platelets (blood-clotting cells) to stick together. Care should be used when using ginkgo with other agents that thin the blood, such as heparin, warfarin, aspirin, and some NSAIDs (Harkness et al. 2000).
- Vitamin E has a long history of safe use. Vitamin E may add to the blood thinning effect of aspirin and cause an increased risk of bleeding. Care should be taken when taking aspirin with vitamin E (Harkness et al. 2000).
- Vitamin K directly counteracts the action of warfarin. Patients taking warfarin should seek qualified medical advice before taking vitamin K (Harkness et al. 2000).
- EPA and DHA have been shown to inhibit abnormal clotting in blood vessels. Care should be used with those taking anticoagulant medications such as warfarin.
For more information contact the Alzheimer's Association (800) 272-3900.
- Cognitex contains phosphatidycholine, phosphatidylserine, vinpocetine, and pregnenolone. It is available with and without pregnenolone. Take 5 capsules in the morning and 5 in the evening.
- Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer contains acetyl-L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid, carnosine, and zinc.
- CDP choline is a unique form of choline that readily passes through the blood-brain barrier directly into brain tissue where it enhances cerebral energy metabolism.
- Life Extension Foundation offers several forms of ginkgo biloba, including Super Ginkgo Extract.
- The Life Extension Mix has a wide variety of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Essential Fatty Acids are available from several oils. Super EPA/DHA w/ Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract will help to control inflammation by balancing essential fatty acid intake.
Free Shipping in the Continental U.S. on Orders over $50
The statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. The foregoing statements are based upon sound and reliable studies, and are meant for informational purposes. Consult with your medical practitioner to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms. Please always check your purchase for possible allergins and correct dosage on the bottle before use.
While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Life Ex Online assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.