1. Haq IU, Ramsay LE, Jackson PR, Wallis EJ. Prediction of coronary risk for primary prevention of coronary heart disease: a comparison of methods. QJM. 1999 Jul;92(7):379-85.
2. Cheuk BL, Cheung GC, Lau SS, Cheng SW. Plasma fibrinogen level: an independent risk factor for long-term survival in Chinese patients with peripheral artery disease? World J Surg. 2005 Oct;29(10):1263-7.
3. Diez N, Montes R, Alonso A, et al. Association of increased fibrinogen concentration with impaired activation of anticoagulant protein C. J Thromb Haemost. 2006 Feb;4(2):398-402.
4. Zairis MN, Lyras AG, Bibis GP, et al. Association of inflammatory biomarkers and cardiac troponin I with multifocal activation of coronary artery tree in the setting of non-ST-elevation acute myocardial infarction. Atherosclerosis. 2005 Sep;182(1):161-7.
5. Geberhiwot T, Haddon A, Labib M. HbA1C predicts the likelihood of having impaired glucose tolerance in high-risk patients with normal fasting plasma glucose. Ann Clin Biochem. 2005 May;42(Pt 3):193-5.
6. Selvin E, Coresh J, Golden SH, Brancati FL, Folsom AR, Steffes MW. Glycemic control and coronary heart disease risk in persons with and without diabetes: the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Sep 12;165(16):1910-6.
7. Nathan DM, Cleary PA, Backlund JY, et al. Intensive diabetes treatment and cardiovascular disease in patients with type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2005 Dec 22;353(25):2643-53.
8. Available at: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/reprint/25/suppl_1/s33.pdf. Accessed March 2, 2006.
9. Basar MM, Aydin G, Mert HC, et al. Relationship between serum sex steroids and Aging Male Symptoms score and International Index of Erectile Function. Urology. 2005 Sep;66(3):597-601.
10. Available at: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2005/jun2005_report_hormone_01.htm. Accessed March 1, 2006.
11. Cutler GB, Jr., Laue L. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency. N Engl J Med. 1990 Dec 27;323(26):1806-13.
12. New MI. Genetic disorders of adrenal hormone synthesis. Horm Res. 1992;37 Suppl 322-33.
13. Rabkin JG, McElhiney MC, Rabkin R, McGrath PJ, Ferrando SJ. Placebo-controlled trial of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for treatment of nonmajor depression in patients with HIV/AIDS. Am J Psychiatry. 2006 Jan;163(1):59-66.
14. Schmidt PJ, Daly RC, Bloch M, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone monotherapy in midlife-onset major and minor depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005 Feb;62(2):154-62.
15. Doron R, Fridman L, Gispan-Herman I, et al. DHEA, a neurosteroid, decreases cocaine self-administration and reinstatement of cocaine-seeking behavior in rats. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2006 Jan 18.
16. Mills SJ, Ashworth JJ, Gilliver SC, Hardman MJ, Ashcroft GS. The sex steroid precursor DHEA accelerates cutaneous wound healing via the estrogen receptors. J Invest Dermatol. 2005 Nov;125(5):1053-62.
17. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_3X_Can_prostate_cancer_be_found_early_36.asp Accessed February 5, 2006.
18. Nadler RB, Loeb S, Roehl KA,et al. Use of 2.6 ng/ml prostate specific antigen prompt for biopsy in men older than 60 years. J Urol. 2005 Dec;174(6):2154-7.
19. Catalona WJ, Partin AW, Slawin KM, et al. Use of the percentage of free prostate-specific antigen to enhance differentiation of prostate cancer from benign prostatic disease: a prospective multicenter clinical trial. JAMA. 1998 May 20;279(19):1542-7.
20. Punglia RS, D扐mico AV, Catalona WJ, Roehl KA, Kuntz KM. Effect of verification bias on screening for prostate cancer by measurement of prostate-specific antigen. N Engl J Med. 2003 Jul 24;349(4):335-42.
21. Kravchick S, Peled R, Dorfman D, et al. Predictive criteria for prostate cancer detection in men with serum PSA concentration of 2.0 to 4.0 ng/mL. Urology. 2005 Sep;66(3):542-6.
22. Lujan M, Paez A, Miravalles E, et al. Prostate cancer detection is also relevant in low prostate specific antigen ranges. Eur Urol. 2004 Feb;45(2):155-9.
23. Stampfer MJ, Malinow MR, Willett WC, et al. A prospective study of plasma homocyst(e)ine and risk of myocardial infarction in US physicians. JAMA. 1992 Aug 19;268(7):877-81.
24. Dhonukshe-Rutten RA, Pluijm SM, de Groot LC, et al. Homocysteine and vitamin B12 status relate to bone turnover markers, broadband ultrasound attenuation, and fractures in healthy elderly people. J Bone Miner Res. 2005 Jun;20(6):921-9.
25. McLean RR, Jacques PF, Selhub J, et al. Homocysteine as a predictive factor for hip fracture in older persons. N Engl J Med. 2004 May 13;350(20):2042-9.
26. van Meurs JB, Dhonukshe-Rutten RA, Pluijm SM, et al. Homocysteine levels and the risk of osteoporotic fracture. N Engl J Med. 2004 May 13;350(20):2033-41.
27. Kamburoglu G, Gumus K, Kadayifcilar S, Eldem B. Plasma homocysteine, vitamin B12 and folate levels in age-related macular degeneration. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2005 Sep 15;1-5.
28. Seddon JM, Gensler G, Klein ML, Milton RC. Evaluation of plasma homocysteine and risk of age-related macular degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006 Jan;141(1):201-3.
29. Vine AK, Stader J, Branham K, Musch DC, Swaroop A. Biomarkers of cardiovascular disease as risk factors for age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology. 2005 Dec;112(12):2076-80.
30. Sakuta H, Suzuki T. Plasma total homocysteine and gallstone in middle-aged Japanese men. J Gastroenterol. 2005 Nov;40(11):1061-4.
31. Teunissen CE, Blom AH, Van Boxtel MP, et al. Homocysteine: a marker for cognitive performance? A longitudinal follow-up study. J Nutr Health Aging. 2003;7(3):153-9.
32. Koenig W, Sund M, Frohlich M, et al. C-Reactive protein, a sensitive marker of inflammation, predicts future risk of coronary heart disease in initially healthy middle-aged men: results from the MONICA (Monitoring Trends and Determinants in Cardiovascular Disease) Augsburg Cohort Study, 1984 to 1992. Circulation. 1999 Jan 19;99(2):237-42.
33. Bassuk SS, Rifai N, Ridker PM. High-sensitivity C-reactive protein: clinical importance. Curr Probl Cardiol. 2004 Aug;29(8):439-93.
34. Cushman M, Arnold AM, Psaty BM, et al. C-reactive protein and the 10-year incidence of coronary heart disease in older men and women: the cardiovascular health study. Circulation. 2005 Jul 5;112(1):25-31.
35. Pradhan AD, Manson JE, Rifai N, Buring JE, Ridker PM. C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and risk of developing type 2 diabetes mellitus. JAMA. 2001 Jul 18;286(3):327-34.
36. Hu FB, Meigs JB, Li TY, Rifai N, Manson JE. Inflammatory markers and risk of developing type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes. 2004 Mar;53(3):693-700.
37. Seddon JM, George S, Rosner B, Rifai N. Progression of age-related macular degeneration: prospective assessment of C-reactive protein, interleukin 6, and other cardiovascular biomarkers. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;123(6):774-82.
38. Seddon JM, Gensler G, Milton RC, Klein ML, Rifai N. Association between C-reactive protein and age-related macular degeneration. JAMA. 2004 Feb 11;291(6):704-10.
39. Teunissen CE, Van Boxtel MP, Bosma H, et al. Inflammation markers in relation to cognition in a healthy aging population. J Neuroimmunol. 2003 Jan;134(1-2):142-50.
40. Ford DE, Erlinger TP. Depression and C-reactive protein in US adults: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2004 May 10;164(9):1010-4.
41. Dessein PH, Joffe BI, Stanwix AE. High sensitivity C-reactive protein as a disease activity marker in rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatol. 2004 Jun;31(6):1095-7.
42. Vanderpump MP, Tunbridge WM, French JM, et al. The incidence of thyroid disorders in the community: a twenty-year follow-up of the Whickham Survey. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1995 Jul;43(1):55-68.
43. Hak AE, Pols HA, Visser TJ, et al. Subclinical hypothyroidism is an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis and myocardial infarction in elderly women: the Rotterdam Study. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Feb 15;132(4):270-8.
44. Rodondi N, Newman AB, Vittinghoff E, et al. Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of heart failure, other cardiovascular events, and death. Arch Intern Med. 2005 Nov 28;165(21):2460-6.
45. Kim DJ, Khang YH, Koh JM, Shong YK, Kim GS. Low normal TSH levels are associated with low bone mineral density in healthy postmenopausal women. Clin Endocrinol.(Oxf). 2006 Jan;64(1):86-90.
46. Ladenson PW, Singer PA, Ain KB, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines for detection of thyroid dysfunction. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Jun 12;160(11):1573-5.
47. Leifke E, Gorenoi V, Wichers C, et al. Age-related changes of serum sex hormones, insulin-like growth factor-1 and sex-hormone binding globulin levels in men: cross-sectional data from a healthy male cohort. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2000 Dec;53(6):689-95.
48. Laaksonen DE, Niskanen L, Punnonen K, et al. Testosterone and sex hormone-binding globulin predict the metabolic syndrome and diabetes in middle-aged men. Diabetes Care. 2004 May;27(5):1036-41.
49. Barrett-Connor E, von Muhlen DG, Kritz-Silverstein D. Bioavailable testosterone and depressed mood in older men: the Rancho Bernardo Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999 Feb;84(2):573-7.
50. Moffat SD, Zonderman AB, Metter EJ,et al. Free testosterone and risk for Alzheimer disease in older men. Neurology. 2004 Jan 27;62(2):188-93.
51. Tsai EC, Boyko EJ, Leonetti DL, Fujimoto WY. Low serum testosterone level as a predictor of increased visceral fat in Japanese-American men. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Apr;24(4):485-91.
52. Dunajska K, Milewicz A, Szymczak J, et al. Evaluation of sex hormone levels and some metabolic factors in men with coronary atherosclerosis. Aging Male. 2004 Sep;7(3):197-204.
53. Demirbag R, Yilmaz R, Ulucay A, Unlu D. The inverse relationship between thoracic aortic intima media thickness and testosterone level. Endocr Res. 2005;31(4):335-44.
54. Lovejoy JC, Bray GA, Bourgeois MO, et al. Exogenous androgens influence body composition and regional body fat distribution in obese postmenopausal women梐 clinical research center study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Jun;81(6):2198-203.
55. Khosla S, Riggs BL, Robb RA, et al. Relationship of volumetric bone density and structural parameters at different skeletal sites to sex steroid levels in women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Sep;90(9):5096-103.